Thursday, September 17, 2009

Through a Glass Darkly

I had an experience yesterday that gave me a micro glimpse of the helplessness and frustration our LO’s must feel.


I use a popular, powerful software in my work. I’ve used this product since its earliest version launched in the late 80’s. Over time, as the world of computer programs often evolve, it has become more and more complex, bloated with unnecessary “designer’s ego” functions, and thus, to my way of thinking, less and less dependable in the process. On Monday, suddenly, for no reason that I can determine, two of the programs I use the most started crashing on the “save” command.


I spent most of yesterday seeking help for the problem, reading posts on the software company’s forums, not relating to most of the information being exchanged. Seemed like most was written in a foreign language. At one point I sat wondering how it had all gotten so far ahead of me, how could I have been so comfortable with the apparently out of date knowledge base I depend on daily when everyone and everything else had been racing out beyond my understanding? It occurred to me that I might not be able to get up to speed and figure this out and then what would I do? I grumbled to myself about the lack of support and poor quality of the product that had once been so reliable.


And then it hit me that my MIL is probably feeling exactly the same. Everyone and everything is leaving her behind, standing in the dust of what remains of her once well-ordered life, a life with boundaries that were defined by quality not just quantity.


It was a pivotal moment, I have to admit.


For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. And now abideth faith, hope, and charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity." (I Cor. 13:12,13)

No comments:

Post a Comment