Monday, September 14, 2009

The Guilt Lilt

I call it the “Guilt Lilt”. When she feels I have not met her expectations, she will either rant in anger, or she will revert to a lyrical sing-songy patronizing tone. I found a voice mail on my cell phone as I was leaving the house this morning.


“Hell-oh-oh. Where are you-ew? I’ve been up since si-ex way-ting. I have ca-alled your how-owse and your ce-ell. This is Ma-reee. Ca--all me ple-eese.”


Sometimes I can ignore it but, sometimes I have to give it back to her. Usually when I do that she immediately abandons the fake tone which makes it appear that she knows what she is doing. I responded that I take a shower every morning and I cannot answer the phone while I am in the shower.


“Oh,” she replied flatly. Then we finished the conversation within the new normal.


THE PLAN is now in full play with the final move to the family farm this weekend and her adjustment seems to be smoothing out after three nights sleeping in her new digs. I know there will be issues. I know she will forget many things that we will have to show her many times, but she still has just enough short term memory function that she has learned how to lock her door and then open it again, and turn the TV on and off (after several meltdowns). She can use the shower. These are good positive signs.


I think we have closed a chapter and have now begun the next, bracing ourselves for anything to happen. But at least she is close to family and safer than she was by herself in her old house.


Another day another bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment